Adafruit FONA 808 - Mini Cellular GSM + GPS Breakout
Cellular + GPS tracking, all in one? Oh yes! Introducing Adafruit FONA 808 MiniGSM + GPS, an all-in-one cellular phone module with that lets you add location-tracking, voice, text, SMS and data to your project in an adorable little package.
This module measures only 1.75"x1.6" but packs a surprising amount of technology into it's little frame. At the heart is a powerfull GSM cellular module (we use the latest SIM808) with integrated GPS. This module can do just about everything.
- Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz - connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM (in the USA, T-Mobile is suggested)
- Fully-integrated GPS (MT3336 chipset) that can be controlled and query over the same serial port
- Make and receive voice calls using a headset or an external 32Ω speaker + electret microphone
- Send and receive SMS messages
- Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
- PWM/Buzzer vibrational motor control
- AT command interface with "auto baud" detection
Here's the GPS specifications:
- 22 tracking / 66 acquisition channels
- GPS L1 C/A code
- Sensitivity: Tracking: -165 dBm, Cold starts : -147 dBm
- Time-To-First-Fix: Cold starts: 30s (typ.), Hot starts: 1s (typ.), Warm starts: 28s (typ.)
- Accuracy: approx 2.5 meters
Sounds delicious, right? So we plated this fine module onto a little breakout with all the extras you need to make your next project shine:
- Onboard LiPoly battery charging circuitry so you can take your project on the go. Use any 500mAh+ LiPoly or LiIon battery and recharge over the MicroUSB when necessary. Two LEDs let you know when its charging and done
- Standard 4-pole TRRS headphone jack. Use any 'Android' or 'iPhone'-compatible headset with mic
- Breakouts for external 32Ω speaker and electret mic if you don't want to use a headphone
- Level shifting circuitry so you can run it with 2.8V to 5V logic.
- Vibrational motor (buzzer) driver so you can have noiseless notifications
- uFL connections for external antennas
- Indicator LEDs for power and network connectivity
- Standard SIM slides into the back
On its own, this module can't do anything. It requires a microcontroller to drive it! We suggest and use an Arduino but any 3-5V microcontroller with a UART can send and receive commands over the RX/TX pins.
You will also need some required accessories to make FONA work. These are not included!
- SIM Card!
- Lipoly Battery - 500mAh or larger!
- MicroUSB cable for charging the battery.
- External uFL GSM Antenna - this slim one works great.
- (or, if you want to use an SMA antenna - a uFL to SMA adapter cable.)
- External uFL Passive GPS Antenna - like this one!
- 44mm x 43mm x 8mm / 1.7" x 1.7" x 0.3"
- Weight: 12.3g
- SIM808 Hardware design
- SIM800 Command Manual - All the basic commands that the module supports (please note some are not supported by the FONA 808, such as FM radio, external audio, or bluetooth)
- SIM808 Specifications
- SIM808 GPS AT commands
- SIM800 TCP/IP App Note (specifics on TCP/IP GPRS)
- SIM800 FM Radio details
- SIM800 IP (FTP & HTTP) support specifics
- SIM800 E-mail support specifics
- SIM800 MMS (multimedia message) support specifics